Liberty Seated Dollar
The Seated Liberty Dollar was struck from 1840 to 1873. The obverse design was a slightly modified version of the dollar coin and pattern designed by Christian Gobrecht between 1836 and 1839. The reverse modified John Reich’s federal eagle design of 1807.
The obverse design had a seated figure of Miss Liberty, sitting on a rock, in her left hand was a pole and Phrygian cap atop the pole. In her right hand was a Union shield with “LIBERTY” inscribed upon it. Miss Liberty faces left and there are seven six-pointed stars to her right and six six-pointed stars to her left. The date is below her and the coin has a reeded edge.
The reverse depicts an American eagle. In the eagle’s right talon is an olive branch and, in the eagle’s, left talon are three arrows. Above the eagle is “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” around the periphery of the coin. The denomination is below the eagle represented as “ONE DOL.” The mintmark, if any, is below the eagle but above the denomination.
These coins were minted only at the Philadelphia mint until 1859 when the New Orleans Mint began striking them. They were minted annually in Philadelphia from 1840 to 1865. These are the Variety-1 coins.
In 1864, the motto “IN GOD WE TRUST” was added to the new Two Cent Piece coins and in 1866 the Liberty Seated Dollar was the first dollar coin to carry the new motto. The coin’s design remained unchanged other than the addition of that motto. These coins with motto are the Variety-2 coins.
The Variety-2 (With Motto) coin was struck annually in the Philadelphia Mint, the Carson City Mint and at the San Francisco Mint.
In 1873, yet another Coinage Act was passed. This law halted production of silver dollar coins for domestic use. It also authorized the creation of the United States Trade Dollar which was destined to be used primarily in foreign commerce.